Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book #45: Never Let Me Go

I'm a little stumped for words, to be honest. It's not that I have 'writers' block' (or bloggers' block!), it's just I really don't know what to say about this book, Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. Interesting? Yes somewhat. Boring? Yes, that too. Captivating? Yes, but I'm not sure in a good way. Frustrating? Yes, yes, yes... I wanted something to happen. Different? Most certainly.


I was given Never Let Me Go earlier in the year, and despite it being an international best seller, and having been turned into a major motion picture, I hadn't actually ever heard of it! Now I may have been living under a rock, but having since read it - and seen the movie - I think I'd happily crawl back under that rock and go on living in ignorant bliss. 


It's not that I disliked the book. I certainly don't feel strongly enough to 'dislike it' - but the book was just a bit bland really. Three non-descriptive characters, continuing through their rather odd, yet uneventful life, to do nothing but "complete" at the end of it all.


But I'm wondering if I'm missing something here? Is there an underlying theme that I have completely read and watched over altogether? Was I meant to read further into each of the chapters to find a hidden meaning in there? Were the characters something else entirely that I didn't understand? I'm truly mystified as to how this has become such a talking point.


I've ticked it off the list, added it to the books I've now read (but wondering if I actually needed to read it at all) pile, and now know what people are talking about when they mention Never Let Me Go. Whether or not I have anything to say about it should they ask me is another story, but for now, I'm going to go in search of a captivating, utterly enthralling, highly entertaining, un-put-down-able book because I'm in need!

4 comments:

  1. Intriguing. I saw the movie advertised for this before I knew it was a book and the trailer made me want to go in search of the book as it seemed such an interesting story (If I find out a movie is made from a book I tend to read the book instead of watching the movie - or at least before). It's been interesting reading your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the book or the movie. It doesn't sound like one I want to get into at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of the book, but didn't know it was a movie. Sounds like one I'll skip anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SPOILERS
    I didn't like this book either but I was talking to one of my friends who did and she holds that this book was all about coming to terms with death. Which it was I guess, but that doesn't explain why the characters didn't try to fight it. I'm willing to bet the reason it's a best seller, though, is because of the tragic love story. People just eat that stuff up.

    ReplyDelete