Monday, May 9, 2011

10 good things on a Monday... treasures on a forgotten shelf

It's amazing what a spot of housework can uncover. I came across a whole shelf of books I had completely forgotten I had. This may not seem possible, but here's why - I have so many books, that I have two rows of books on most of my shelves. This means, the back row don't get the attention they deserve, and the back row of the very bottom shelf, certainly gets forgotten about. Which is where I found these treasures...
1.The Finkler Question
This book has travelled from NZ to London, courtesy of a visiting Uncle, and is now here in my Canadian abode.It seems a bit unfair that after covering all those miles it is being left to gather dust.
2. Tender Morsels
I don't recall when this made it onto my bookshelf, but I picked it up out of a book bin at work. Any recommendations as to whether this should go immediately onto my TBR pile - greatly received.

3. Devil in Disguise
Now this one's a mystery. How it came to be on my shelf I have absolutely no idea. But I've just taken a sneak peak at the opening paragraph and it sounds great!
A few snippets from the opening par: "Molly carefully painted her nails blood red, three vivid stripes on each neat oval to make a flawless finish. As the polish hardened, she gazed down admiringly at her hands.... A pity, really, that her role required her to wear gloves."













4. The Chapel at the Edge of the World

After blowing all the dust off, I'm not sure I can resist this cover much longer!
5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
Now this is one book that I have read - and absolutely loved!

6. Everything is Illuminated
Up until now this one has been sitting in our guest room. I love to put a few weird and wonderful books on the shelves for guests to browse through. Maybe I'll move into the guest room so I can do the same!

7. One Big Damn Puzzler
Yep - how I came to acquire this one is sure puzzling me, but that cover is just too irresistible so that must have been the reason! I'm a sucker for great covers!

Then there are these:

Perhaps next time, I'll just ditch the housework and read instead!

Ten Good Things on a Monday is a weekly meme hosted by Nina and Argh








2 comments:

  1. Talk about shopping off your own bookshelf! I really need to read Everything is Illuminated. I keep putting it off and kicking myself when I heard people talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have a lot of books for you to forget that you have these awesome ones on your shelf! You better start reading them now! And I really love that your books have really cool covers.

    Thank you so much for sharing your Good Things (and re-discovered books) this week, Ann! Have a great week!

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete