Friday, February 11, 2011

A Friday Favourite: The Bronze Horseman

I’m not short of love – I have a wonderful husband who remembers anniversaries (even when I don’t – woops!), buys me jewellery just for doing his washing (told you he was wonderful), cooks me dinner, brings me breakfast in bed and supports me 100% in everything I do. The story of his proposal to me makes other women weep, and he even goes so far as to eat all the chocolate in the house when I’m on yet another diet!

Yet despite being showered by love and wrapped in a wonderful loving environment by family and friends – I love a romantic novel... and this is my favourite! The Bronze Horseman, by Paullina Simons has been around for a while – so too has its sequels (The Bridge to Holy Cross also known as Tatiana & Alexander, & The Summer Garden) but despite other romantic novels that have come and gone – and a few raunchy Jackie Collins’ & Jilly Cooper’s thrown into the mix – The Bronze Horseman still gets pride of place on my bookshelf of favourites, and is recommended to anyone and everyone!

Set in Leningrad in 1941, Tatiana immediately stands out as a character. Quiet, beautiful yet full of strength. It’s only a matter of time before she meets her knight in shining armour – and he himself is irresistible. Their story and life together has everything you want in a romantic saga – love, loss, despair, emotional partings, romantic reunions and a family of their own. You’re guaranteed a happy ending of course, but it takes some time to get there and along the way you wonder if it will eventuate.

For me, The Bronze Horseman is the ultimate in romantic novels and perfect for curling up with this Valentine’s Day – as you eat chocolate and your hubby cooks you dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Ann, I just realized this was you!!! Lol.

    Great idea for a blog too - I've read many books at your suggestion. Actually, I read this book because you'd suggested it years ago (and Tully) and I then got all my sisters reading it plus their friends. Everyone loves it (tho they always say 'there's a lot of sex in the middle haha). I like a good romance book too and I'm another happy girl well looked after by her husband! I've always liked romance tho.

    ReplyDelete